It is possible to adopt a child that you can raise and love as your own whether you are a Filipino citizen or a foreign national.
The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) has laid down the needed information for those who are interested in the idea of adopting children.
The question now is what is the process and requirements for child adoption in the Philippines?
Below are the answers for your question.
Who Can Adopt
- First of all, the requirements and procedure for adoption are based on the Domestic Adoption Law (Republic Act 8552).
- In the said law, a Filipino citizen or an alien (a foreigner who is not a Filipino citizen) may adopt if he or she meets the following requirements:
- Is of legal age.
- Is at least 16 years older than adoptee (except when the adopter is the biological parent)
- Has the capacity to act and assume all the rights and duties incident to the exercise of parental authority.
- Is of good moral character and has not been convicted of any crime involving moral turpitude.
- Is in a good position to support, educate and care for his/her legitimate and illegitimate children and the child to be adopted.
- Has undergone the pre-adoption services.
- As for aliens, another additional requirement would be:
- If he/she has diplomatic relations with the Philippines.
- Has been certified by his/her diplomatic or consular office or any appropriated agency that he/she is qualified to adopt in his country
- His/her government will allow the adoption.
On top of that, an alien needs to have been living in the country for a minimum of 3 continuous years before adoption application.
Who Can Be Adopted
- Based on the law, those who can be adopted include the following:
- Any person below 18 who has been administratively or judicially declared available for adoption.
- Legitimate son/daughter of one spouse by the other spouse.
- An illegitimate son/daughter by a qualified adopter/s to improve his/her status to that of legitimacy.
- A person of legal age if, prior to the adoption, said the person has been consistently considered and treated by the adopter/s as his/her own child since minority.
- A child whose adoption has been previously rescinded.
- A child whose biological parent/s has died provided that no proceedings shall be initiated within 6 months from the time of the death of the said parent/s.
Requirements For Adoption
The following documents have to be submitted:
- Authenticated Birth Certificate
- Authenticated Marriage Certificate
- Written consent to the adoption of the legitimate, adopted or illegitimate children living with the applicant who is aged 10 years old and above.
- Health Certificates of Couple and family members
- NBI Clearance or Police Clearance
- Latest ITR (Income Tax Return) or any proof of income
- Three Character References
- Statement of Acceptance from Designated Guardian
- Latest Family Picture and Home Picture
- Home Study Report
- Process of Adoption
- This is the process for adoption so be sure to follow it carefully:
- Attendance to Adoption Counseling
- Preparation of Home Study Report
- Approval/Disapproval of application
- Matching or Family Selection
- Pre-placement of the child with the prospective adoptive parents
- Supervised Trial Custody
- Finalization of Child’s Adoption
- Issuance of the Adoption Decree/Certificate of Finality
- Issuance of Amended Birth Certificate
- Provision of Post-Adoptive Services
For additional details, you may want to get in touch with DSWD.
To all the readers of this website Thebrightinvestor.com, please read carefully and understand this disclaimer before you use or implement all the contents found here. Some of the posts are risky to use if you are a beginner.
All the post and contents of this website Thebrightinvestor.com is for public information only, however we cannot guarantee the accuracy, completeness, or the assurance that will work for you if you implement some of the tutorials posted on this website. We are working to the best of our skills to make this website updated and working, but due to the fact that every seconds there some updates taking place on the World Wide Web it’s out of our control if some of the contents here will not work. Read More....